Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Learning the Hard Way

Sometimes Uncas and I learn how to do things the hard way. It's typically nothing major - something as simple as cracking an egg in a little dish before adding it to the cookie batter to keep the egg shells out (I learned this from my mom, not actually by doing it . . . ok, maybe once or twice I was lazy and it bit me in the butt!). Some of the things we have learned the hard way have come as being first time homeowners . . . you know - things that you don't think about when you live in an apartment forever.

Tonight we learned about how to keep a Christmas tree from leaning too much. We put our tree up on Sunday, and had to purchase a new stand since we never had a live tree before. There were these little bolt/cover things that I was convinced just covered the screw ends to make it look pretty. Uncas thought they were suppose to be put on between the screw things and the tree. Neither one of us went to look at the packaging and long story short . . . tonight we had to take the tree out of the stand and put the bolt things on correctly because our tree was leaning more and more every day . . . Lesson learned the hard way!

In other news - I have finally gotten back into the cooking groove. For awhile (like last winter) we were so good about making dinners, trying new recipes and then we bought a house. And then we got a dog and everything just sort of went to picking up food from local establishments or frozen pizza! I think the cooler weather has helped and I have been making a bigger effort to look through my cookbooks again. They were packed up for so long and even now, I have them in a bookshelf upstairs, which isn't too close to the kitchen. So far this week I have made soup, 2 loaves of pumpkin bread (not on the same day), a new recipe using haddock, a venison barley stew and pasta alfredo (not from scratch, but I did add mushrooms to the sauce!) It's been fun cooking and baking. This weekend I look forward doing more since we will be having guests!

And on a final note - I have decided to try blogging every day for a month. I can't guarantee that all posts will be long or interesting, but hopefully it will get me in the habit! 2 days down, 29 left to go!

1 comment:

LisaD said...

Yay!! I look forward to reading your daily entries!! We had a leaning tower of Pisa tree ourselves. I convinced B to re-seat it in the stand and then he did something else to help it stay put. I don't know what it was tho!