Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Baking Up a Storm

So tonight I had plans to get together with some friends, some of which I haven't seen since this summer. You know what messed up those plans? THE WEATHER! Seriously - it makes me crabby. My commute home makes me crabby. Shoveling the damn driveway makes me crabby. Seeing my dog hobble around because his paws are cold makes me sad! So - Jessie, even though you were laughing this morning at my angry blog posts about the weather - now it's not so funny when our plans get messed up!

What else can you do when it's crappy outside? Stay inside and stuff your face with cookies. And make the cookies that you stuff your face with. Yes, it's a great past time and explains the extra pounds that I have put on this fall (now that the weather is cold, our dog does not like to go for walks). Tonight I made another batch of Oreo truffles (made a batch last night), but this time they are Mint Oreos. Haven't tried one yet, but I hear truffles are the breakfast of champions! I also made some dough for some pecan balls which I intend to make tomorrow or Thursday night.

Funny story about the pecan balls. My mom had this recipe that she got from her mom. The cookie recipe was called "Pecan Crescents". But what's funny about it is that for as long as I can remember, my mom actually makes Walnut balls because she usually has walnuts around the house and rolls them into balls is easier than crescents. So every year for Christmas she pulls out the recipe title pecan crescents. This year she actually did have pecans in the house, so she made the balls with those. I took a bunch home and finally broke out the Christmas cookies this week. I keep telling Uncas that the pecan balls are really good, but he didn't listen. Finally this morning before he left for work, he tried one or two or four. Tonight he mentioned how great the cookies are with the pecans. I have some pecans that Josh gave me, so I made the dough tonight for them.

And on a final note - even though I have been stuffing myself silly with cookies and sweets, there is end in sight, sort of. This weekend Uncas and I purchased a treadmill. We hope to get it on Tuesday. I am super excited because for years now I have been wanting a treadmill at home, so I wouldn't have to pay for a gym membership. It's finally going to be a reality and I will officially have no excuse not to work out. I think I will set a goal of walking or running 500 miles in 2009. I know it's pretty ambitious, but that's just under 10 miles a week. Piece of cake, right? I will post my mileage each week to keep me accountable.

No comments: