Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Decade Recap


I saw someone else do this in their blog and thought it would be very interesting to see how far I have come in 10 years.  December 31, 2009 also marks my 10 year anniversary moving to Minnesota!

2000 – New to MN.  Working at TeamExcel as a Jr. Recruiter/Sales Assistant.  Got a part time job working Lands End Inlet in Richfield.  Living in Burnsville

2001 – Started working at The Musicland Group in May.  Met my favorite New Kid – Joey McIntyre in June while covering the receptionist desk.  Still working at Lands’ End.  Moved to South Minneapolis, just a couple of blocks from Lake Harriet.

2002 – Sill working at MLG.  Started hanging out with the MLGrlz – a group of 5 of us who all worked in HR, right around the same age.

2003 – Moved from MLG to working at Best Buy Corporate HR.  Met Reid at Lands’ End in April – we were just friends.  My best friend Lisa got married in Oct and it was the first and only time that I have been in a wedding (other than my own).  Attended my first play-off game for the Chicago Cubs – they lost L Starting dating Reid sometime in November (neither one of us remember the exact date of our first date).  Went to a lot of concerts.

2004 – Switched jobs in March to Telemasters, Inc.working as a Program Assistant.  Finally quit Lands’ End.  Moved to a different apartment located in Edina with a roommate.  In July I survived my first trip the Boundary Waters and I loved it! October I bought my Honda Civic which I still have.

2005 – Still working at Telemasters.  Moved to a new apartment in South Minneapolis on France Ave – no more roommate!  Took a long road trip to New Orleans with Reid in early spring.  In July I started my first blog.  Reid didn’t think I would really keep up with it, but I did, so for Christmas he got me a digital camera, so I could upload photos.

2006 – This is a big year.  In March I got engaged!  Reid and I moved into a duplex in South Minneapolis, just a couple of blocks from Lake Harriet at the end of May.  In August we got married at the Rose Gardens at Lake Harriet in a small ceremony.  In September we had a BBQ reception.  In November I switched jobs and started working at the University of Minnesota in the Office of Continuing Medical Education.

2007 – It was a pretty quiet year for the most part.  At the end of May Reid and I took another trip to the Boundary Waters.  It was a little bit more intense than the previous trip, but looking back now, I have very fond memories.  I also turned 30 in June.  That was really about all the exciting stuff that we did.  Mainly because we were busy saving money and paying down debt.

2008 – This was quite the busy year.  In February we went to Mexico on vacation.  It was great to be gone in the middle of the winter.  In April I became a Godmother to Caiden who was born on April 4.  At the end of April Reid and I bought our house.  It needed a lot of work, so we started many home improvement projects.  In the summer Reid’s sister gave birth to a baby girl, Anna and my brother also had his first child, Saffron.  But the biggest highlight of the summer was bringing home our puppy, Sammy Nimz in June.

2009 – That brings us to this year.  Another big year full of change.  This spring I decided I wanted to go back to school for Early Childhood Education.  At the end of June I gave 2 months notice to my work and then we found out that we were expecting a baby!  In the fall I returned to school after 10 years.  In November my Grandma Blume passed away.  And now we are getting our house ready to welcome our baby next year.

As I look back, it’s really amazing and exciting to see how much I have grown throughout these 10 years.  I remember that when I first moved to Minnesota I really struggled to find myself and where I fit in.  I never thought I would stay here for 10 years, in fact, during that first or second year, I was making plans to move to a warmer state.  I am glad I stuck it out here.  Right now I can’t imagine living anywhere else!

I have a feeling that the next ten years are going to go by really fast.  I am so excited to become a mom and I look forward to starting a new career.  There is one thing that I know for sure – I hope to not move out of this house in the next ten years!  I did enough moving this past decade!

2 comments:

Ella said...

I enjoyed reading your decade recap - these are fun, you inspired me to write (a really short) one :)

Glad you won't have to move again anytime soon. You definitely set the record for most # of moves in one lifetime!

LisaD said...

This was so fun to read! You also inspired me to do one too!