Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bedtime

I know that some people think that 6 pm is a really early bedtime for babies.  That is what time that we have been putting Eddie to bed.  It's definitely tough for Uncas because during the week he doesn't get to spend much time with Eddie's in the evenings.  And if you know Uncas, he loves his sleep in the mornings, but he has actually been getting up around 6 or 6:30 just to spend time with Eddie.  But on the other hand, it's really nice to have our evenings free to relax.  We don't eat dinner until he goes to bed and we both like not having to eat at 8, but at 6:30 or 7 instead.

Eddie tends to wake up at least once still to eat at night and then lately it seems that he wakes up for a diaper change as well.  The other night he slept for a 9 hour stretch, which was great - 6 pm till 3 am.  But ideally, I would like him to sleep in a little bit more instead of waking up at 5:00 or 5:30 every day.

SO, I thought maybe we could try moving his bed time back to 7.  Last night we put him to bed at 6:15.

Biggest. Mistake. Ever.

He cried and screamed and fussed and then we thought he was down.  So we ate dinner for about 15 minutes in peace and then it started all over again.  Uncas finally got him back to sleep at about 7:50 by rocking him to sleep (typically we don't have to rock him for more than a minute or two and can lay him in his crib awake).  Talk about a rough night! 

AND - he still got up at 1 am to feed and then at 4 am for a diaper change.  That diaper change took 45 minutes to put him back to sleep and he got up at 5:30 for the day!

What this proves, once again, is that Mama (and Daddy) really know best!  For now we are going to stick with his early bedtime.  I am sure one day it will get later, but he really needs that much sleep over night.  I can only hope today that his naps are long, so he can get caught up.

Side Note:  I was smart and was in bed asleep by 9:30 last night, so fortunately I don't feel tired today.  Which is good because I might need to have more patience than normal if Eddie is really crabby today.  At least I am learning something about this parenting stuff!

3 comments:

Kellys said...

Jack went to bed at 6:30 when he was a baby. I am sure Patrick would benefit from going to bed earlier, but it's hard with two kids.

Jeanna Blume said...

WOW...we have stuck with a 7pm bedtime for as long as I can remember, but now that D is home earlier, we can eat as a family (vrs 8-10pm at night), I start Saffron's bedtime at 7, with a bath, story, potty time, and songs....seems to work for her....like to have it to 8pm sooner or later....but she seems to like the 730pm bedtime, she is ready to go night night by then....Good luck

Abby said...

NO ONE in my family believes me when I say that a later bed time just means the kids have a rougher night and get up even earlier! My parents and in-laws are always encouraging me to put the kids down later and they'll sleep later - hahahaha. When Augie was little, he went to sleep between 5:30 and 5:45 each night and slept (straight through) until 6 or 6:30 each morning. Now they go to sleep at 7 and wake up at 5:30. We're trying to push bedtime to 6:30 in the hopes that they'll sleep a little later. Good luck! Sleep is so challenging!