Friday, February 12, 2010

My First Baby





While he isn't human, Sammy will always have a special place in my heart as my first baby.  Over the past few months as I have spent more time at home, I have come to appreciate having him in my life even more.  I know it seems silly - he's just a dog, but it's amazing what the unconditional love of "just a dog" can do for you. I like having him around to keep me company during the day.  He makes me laugh, he makes me play, he's the ultimate napping partner, when the weather was nicer - he was my walking companion, he's my watchdog when the mailman comes and he is always happy to see me come home, even if I am gone for 15 minutes.

When we first found out we were expecting a baby, I immediately started thinking about what we were going to do with Sammy when I went into labor.  It seemed silly 9 months ago to be worrying about that, but I kept thinking about how confused he would be if we left him alone for a really long time.  Fortunately we have wonderful friends who live close by who will take care of Sammy.  Then came the worry of how Sammy will adjust to having a baby in the household.  I still think about it and have done a lot reading on this topic. 

I know he has no idea what's coming in the next few weeks.  I point out all the stuff for the Baby and have been leaving out things, like the bouncy seat and swing, so he will be used to that stuff.  We haven't closed off the baby's room (a suggestion that I read about), so he can go in there as he pleases.  He sniffs the new stuff, but has left everything alone.  I constantly tell him "it's for the Baby" as if he can understand me.

Ultimately I think (hope) he will be ok when we bring home Little Nimzlet.  He likes kids and we made sure from an early age that he was around them.  Maybe one of the biggest differences will be the lack of pictures we will take of Sammy versus the new baby.  Anytime Sammy does something cute now, we whip out the camera.  I have a feeling that will only happen when Sammy is doing something cute with the baby! 

For the next 3 weeks (+ or - a week or 2) I am treasuring my time with Sammy - free from distraction.  When I got home from Target today, instead of immediately unpacking everything, I brought Sammy up on the bed with me.  We played and cuddled and played for 20 minutes. 

I know to most people he is just a dog.  He will always be my first baby.



No comments: