Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Rocker Girl

Last night I went to see my favorite band in concert! Crazy, since a month ago we saw Uncas's favorite band. One big difference is that most people probably can't name the band by the picture posted here. I fell in love with Jimmy Eat World (yes, that is really their name) in 2002 - back when I was in my middle 20's, single and having fun with my friends. I bought one of their albums right before a weekend that I was going to visit my parents, and I still remember how I listened to it over and over and over again when I was driving. I kept thinking - how can there be not a single bad song on this cd?! But there wasn't! I was in love with them from that weekend on.

I saw them for the first time in concert that year in August at First Ave - how lucky was I to see them in such a small venue?! They sounded just as good live, if not better. I remember laughing with my friends because the lead singer was sweating so much, his shirt changed colors over the course of the show!

The next time I saw them was when they opened for Green Day (in 2005) and they played at the Xcel Energy Center. That was the best concert of my life (Green Day totally rocked - talk about an amazing show!) I went to that show with Marcos and Uncas. Marcos also happens to be a big JEW fan too! Then last summer, almost exactly one year ago, they came to a really small venue, The Fine Line in Minneapolis. We all went to the show, and while it was not their best, in our opinion, they apparently really loved playing there. But even a not their best show for Jimmy Eat World, is still better than most other shows that I have seen!

Last night was the fourth time that I have seen them live and they were back at First Ave. I think it was the best show that I have seen them put on. I was loving every minute of it! Uncas, Marcos, and Marcos' friend, we'll call him Paco, were all there to share in the good music. It's amazing because Jimmy Eat World doesn't seem to get a lot of radio airplay (although I don't listen to the radio stations in Minnie cause they suck), but they have this hardcore base of fans that know every single word to all their songs. It's so much fun to go to their shows and see that you aren't the only one. Whenever I tell people who my favorite band is, most have never heard of them. Funny story - when I told my mom years ago about going to see them for the first time, she sent me an email a few days later saying that they do really exist because she looked them up on the internet! Up until then, she couldn't believe that there was a band named Jimmy Eat World!

And now, I imagine I will have to wait until another album before I see them again in concert. But that's ok - I have their cd's to hold me over until then!

1 comment:

ron said...

Funny thing, they also happen to be one of my favorite bands. My daughter, Summer, turned me on to them years ago. I like them so much that as soon as I they come out with an LP, I'll be the first to add it to my vast collection.