Sunday, February 3, 2008

Movies

Exactly one week ago I had not seen any Oscar nominated movies. In fact, out of the four categories of Actor, Actress in a leading role and Actor, Actress in a support role, I had only seen one of the performances (Philip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie Wilson's War). But that all changed with a one week. I saw seen three movies this week - two of them are Oscar nominated movies and the third has an Oscar nomination for Actor in a leading role.

Monday night Uncas and I went to see Juno. We both have been wanting to see this movie for sometime. It's a comedy about a teenager who becomes pregnant. The writer of the movie is from Minnesota and is quite the local hero right now. The movie is set in MN and there are plenty of references which are really fun. Ellen Page did a fabulous job as Juno. We both loved the movie a lot and it was fun to get out on a Monday night and do something different. I would definitely recommend this movie.

Friday night Marcos and I went to see Michael Clayton. I have been wanting to see this movie for quite sometime. I will admit that half of the reason is that George Clooney is starring in it, but it has also received many good reviews and up for best picture. Uncas wasn't too excited to see this movie (he said he doesn't like lawyer movies, but I think he didn't want to see George Clooney). So, luckily I was able to drag Marcos to see it with me! Overall I thought the movie was really good. You definitely have to pay attention and it does start off a little slow. But the last 20 minutes are outstanding. Tilda Swinton is nominated for actress in a supporting role and she is great in this movie. Of course, my man George is up for a nomination too and there is nothing I love more than seeing Mr. Clooney in a tux! Also - one of the best parts of the movie is when the credits are running at the end. I would also recommend this movie if you liked Syriana, the movie in which George won his Oscar.

Finally last night Uncas and I attempted to go bowling, but after going to two different places, it just wasn't in the cards. We came back home and rented a movie. It was a close decision between, well, now I don't even remember the first movie, but the other movie was Eastern Promises. We were flipping through our decisions and saw a preview for EP and decided to watch that one. Viggo Mortensen is nominated for Actor in a lead role and he definitely deserved it. If for nothing more than the infamous bathhouse scene. I had heard that this was a good movie, but wasn't really sure if I wanted to see it. I knew that it was violent (it's about the Russian mafia - hello - what mafia movie isn't violent?!) There is a scene where Viggo is in the bath house. He fights against two men, who are armed, while he is fully naked! I basically watched no part of it, because I knew that it was going to be bad. And it was, but Uncas watched it and told me when I could watch again. Oh - and not only could I not watch it, but I had to cover my ears as well! But, don't let that stop you from seeing this movie. It's another one where you have to pay attention and they switch back and forth speaking in Russia, so be prepared to read some subtitles. Again, I would recommend, but with caution. I looked away quite a bit (including the very first scene!)

This concludes my movie reviews, now I must get packing for Mexico!

No comments: